Five Facts About Bergamot Oil January 11 2014
- Bergamot can only be grown in very special low fertility soil and a mild climate. It was first grown in the Calabria region of Italy which is where the best oil still comes from.
- Bergamot gives Earl Grey tea its unique taste. The leaves are flavoured with bergamot oil. This was originally frowned upon and at least one tea trader appeared in court for adding an artificial flavour to his tea.
- Half of all fine fragrances for women contain bergamot oil.
- In 2010 scientists reported that bergamot oil showed a similar ability to reduce anxiety to Diazapam.
- The first fragrance that we know contained bergamot oil was Eau de Cologne, which has been in production since the early seventeenth century